Hi there folks.
The Tribulations are a scriptural and doctrinally intense topic, and it wasn’t possible to go through each of those scriptures in today’s podcast. Therefore I am posting the notes and scriptures that accompany it here.
The Tribulations have been warned of by ancient and modern prophets, and as it draws near we hope you will take the time to understand this important topic. Thanks for tuning in, and we’ll catch you on the next episode to be released on Friday, “Tribulations 102”.
Days According to the Lord
- Day of the Gentiles – (see 3 Nephi 16:6-7; Doctrine and Covenants 45:29; 3 Nephi 16:10-12; Isaiah 54:3)
- The Day of Tribulation (Matthew 24:29; Doctrine and Covenants 29:8); “Days of Sorrow” (Doctrine and Covenants 136:35); “Abomination of Desolation”(Daniel 9:27; Daniel 11:31; Daniel 12:11; Mark 13:14; Doctrine and Covenants 84:117), “Great and Terrible Day of the Lord” (Joel 2:31; Malachi 4:5), “Day of the Lord”(Zephaniah 1:14; Amos 5:18; Jeremiah 46:10; Doctrine and Covenants 87:8; Joel 1:15); “The Time of the Heathen” (Ezekiel 30:3); “Day of the Lord’s Anger”(Zephaniah 2:3).
- The Millennial Day
2. How long is the Day of Tribulation?
- 7 Years, but that is nowhere mentioned in scripture. It consists of two 3.5 year periods; one is called ‘tribulation’, and the other is called ‘desolation’: Key verses: Daniel 12: 11-13; Revelation 11: 2-3; Revelation 12:6,14;
- The two periods are pieced together in these verses. NOTE – Look for the words “Tribulation” and “Desolation”:
- D&C 29: 7-8 – “…to preparetheir hearts and be prepared in all things against the day when tribulation and desolation are sent forth upon the wicked”
- Mathew 24:15-21 – When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place … For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be
3. When Will The Day of Tribulation Begin?
- “And upon my house shall it begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith the Lord” – Doctrine and Covenants 112: 24-26 –
- “For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?” – 1 Pet. 4:17-18 –
- “For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows” – Matthew 24: 7-8
4. What will happen during the Day of Tribulation?
- Natural disasters of every kind. The big earthquakes and signs in the heavens prophesied by many.
- Widespread death. Isaiah described this point using six different metaphors:
- Isaiah 1: 9 – The destruction before his Coming is likened to Sodom and Gomorah – only a few are spared
- Isaiah 7: 22; Isaiah describes a few animals who are able to provide for the people because so few are left
- Isaiah 10: 18-19; 2 Nephi 20 – The destruction of Assyria is a type of the destruction of the wicked at the Second Coming—Few people will be left after the Lord comes again
- Isaiah 13:12 – Man is as scarce as fine gold at the Second Coming
- Isaiah 24: 6 – Therefore hath the curse devoured the earth, and they that dwell therein are desolate: therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned, and few men left
- Isaiah 24:13-14 – The few remaining men are compared to the gleaning of grapes and olives following a harvest
- Other latter day prophets:
- “What, only a few persons to be converted, only a few to receive the true Gospel, and be prepared for the coming of the Bridegroom; only a few people to escape this awful desolation? So says the Prophet Isaiah; that is, few in comparison to the great and numerous population of our globe.” Orson Pratt, JD, Vol 20. June 23, 1878.
- “Who shall count the number of dead bodies? The slain will be a third of the inhabitants of the earth itself, however many billions of people that may turn out to be.” Bruce R. McConkie. The Millennial Messiah: 1982; PG 453.
5. What is the Purpose of the Day of Tribulation?
- Doctrine and Covenants 112: 24-26 – Because there are those among his covenant people who have “professed to know [his] name…, and have blasphemed against [him] in the midst of [his] house”
- Purification / Sanctification
- It is not physically or spiritually possible for Christ to rein on this earth in its current Telestial condition. We must prepare the way and do our part to create the Terrestrial Kingdom: (See Doctrine and Covenants 88 to learn about the degrees of light and their associated laws, conditions, and kingdoms)